Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

Andrew,

It uses the zaptel kernel drivers. You can even get echo cancellation
going with it. It used to use an AT based interface in the older
versions. I just took delivery of one today. Like I said the future
suggestion is just so the voice modem can be a back up for the PABX
that does call pickup and fax / data tone detection.

Less and less people voice modems anymore for application development
when you can link it to a REAL PABX software suite. The user can press
a key to go to the operator and get hold music as well as interfacing
with applications. It can also do remote access (data). Fax onnections
are done in software using the sandsp at 14.4. as well. If you want
v34 you can have a modem card as well and hylafax can detect the fax
tone and trigger faxgetty to pick up. I think most big busiensses will
just have a dedicated fax number anyway.

Also thats just for PSTN lines. People writing voice applications will
probably get isdn trunks and use CAPI or have PABX software that uses
capi. Nobody wants to develop an application that is tied to one
vendors hardware. Vm voice shell from vgetty works around that in most
cases... guess how by trapping <DLE>'s. DLE code handling is the same
for all modems in vgetty I checked the source just then ":)

I used to use a quicknet telephony card (linejack) but quicknet is no
more... that's another way of doing voice -> h323 in linux.

Luke