Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

Lee and everyone...

Yes I have got everything working together nicely. My modem doesn't
have any useful adaptive answer functionality (AT+FAA/AT+FAE). From
the posts history I see you[Lee] has a TP560 based Multi-tech too. I
joined the club, the worst chipset just a little better than a
Supra56e (my last one).

I don't even know if it supports CallerID in Australia. From what I've
seen it doesn't support distinctive ring in  the latest V.92 firmware.
It's a confusing little modem because some commands it acknowledges OK
even though they are just stubs. It doesn't support full duplex, but
at this point it's just better getting a Zaptel for $30.

I didn't see any point in the overhead of running Vgetty. Vgetty needs
distinctive ring so hylafax knows to bail and let vgetty pick up. Vm
seems to be a more sensible option as it runs most people's
applications (in perl).

I have about a 80 line configuration file for my modem, so I think I
mastered everything and got it going so well it can't wedge. I put in
my own <DLE><ETX> in the soft reset string for good luck. I don't know
if hylafax integrates it in the modem handling code like mgetty but I
saw it somewhere in the changelog.

If anyone want's to give me a prank call on +61295603378 to hear it
working let me know. Best send me a crazy fax after manually fooling
with the IVR. BTW IT DOES NOT RUN AS ROOT, but the VOCP system prefers
to be setuid. I'm tempted to patch it so it does what qmail does with
privilege separation. It runs as uucp now which is pretty safe.

Dan Bertstine sure knows a thing about security.... That's what part
about VOCP it wants to drop privs for a user to play with their
mailbox. The only thing that wedges from time to time is the IVR
script or just forget about local mailbox access and use Perl to send
via SMTP.

Novell's got the best howto about how to setup VOCP. I'll blog it
later on how to get it working with hylafax once Im comfortable. It's
going to be my backup for a Zaptel and Asterisk. I haven't decided on
Asterfax & spandsp or IAXmodem yet for in-dialing....

The only question is what's the difference between
ModemAnswer*BeginCmd and ModemAnswer*Cmd. They seem to execute one
after each-other. Can the the documentation be made more clear on this
one.

Also does jpeg and Jbig work when you don't use V34? You guessed it my
modem wont do it :)

I've got a fax class 2.0 cellphone that can receive faxes on the go
without an additional number or using CDMA. IT's an old Ericsson T65.
That will probably do better if I don't mind the call costs.

Feedback would be appreciated so I can blog the definitive hylafax and
voice howto. It's pretty confusing to work it all out.

Cheers,

Luke