Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

It sounds like (from a later post) that you got everything working. But I'm responding to answer the questions that you posed here... if for nothing more than for archival value.

Luke McKee wrote:

Also do I need to patch hylafax-5.1.3 with your locking patch to
integrate with VM, or should I just use vgetty?

I don't know to which locking patch you refer, but I would suggest that you use vgetty to handle voice calls.

I'd like to check out George Bell's work but I can't find a mirror.

To the best of my knowledge all of George's HylaFAX code work has been integrated for quite some time.

Does hylafax support answering calls in Voice mode by looking for "R."
as the ring singnal.

No, not currently. However, it would be a rather easy modification. (In theory a voice-capable modem could be used for fax even if it did not support any fax Class - simply by additionally using a software DSP... I've pondered occassionally about how fun it may be to write a "Class8" fax driver for HylaFAX (which would require spandsp)... but there's really no reason for it, yet, I don't think.)

But in voice mode as well as detecting DTMF it can detect a FAX tone.
Would it be better to get vgetty to answer the modem in voice mode and
when it detects a fax let hylafax pick it up?

This could be done, I suppose. As you've got it working now you could probably answer this question better than I.