Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

Luke McKee wrote:

From
the posts history I see you[Lee] has a TP560 based Multi-tech too.

I have worked with TP560 modems before (somewhat indirectly), but I do not have a MultiTech modem with a TP560 chipset... in fact, I did not know that MultiTech even made a modem with the chipset.

It's a confusing little modem because some commands it acknowledges OK
even though they are just stubs.

That's not uncommon, sadly.

It doesn't support full duplex, but
at this point it's just better getting a Zaptel for $30.

I don't know of any consumer-grade full duplex voice modem. I looked for them for a while. If you really want that then you probably would be better off with a soft-PBX anyway.

I have about a 80 line configuration file for my modem, so I think I
mastered everything and got it going so well it can't wedge. I put in
my own <DLE><ETX> in the soft reset string for good luck. I don't know
if hylafax integrates it in the modem handling code like mgetty but I
saw it somewhere in the changelog.

I added it to HylaFAX+ a while back. I also had to back off of it somewhat because it can cause some modems problems.

The only question is what's the difference between
ModemAnswer*BeginCmd and ModemAnswer*Cmd. They seem to execute one
after each-other. Can the the documentation be made more clear on this
one.

For example, ModemAnswerVoiceBeginCmd is issued to the modem after ModemAnswerVoiceCmd. So, ModemAnswerVoiceCmd will be used in rotary or by specific configuration to answer all calls for voice. Once a voice call is detected, then ModemAnswerVoiceBeginCmd is issued. I don't know how to make that any more clear in the documentation. If you have a suggestion for the wording let me know - I'll make a change.

Also does jpeg and Jbig work when you don't use V34? You guessed it my
modem wont do it :)

JPEG and JBIG are independent of the modulation used. So yes, you don't need V.34-Fax.