Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

Lee & other fax guru's

You must be right but I'm all so confused about the locking issues and
if I can use the vgetty that comes with mgetty without any patches.
Also do I need to patch hylafax-5.1.3 with your locking patch to
integrate with VM, or should I just use vgetty?

I'd like to check out George Bell's work but I can't find a mirror.

I have a dreaded TOPIC 560. I can't get it do destinctive ring even
through there is reference to DRON and DROFF in some windows INF
files. I've got new firmware too that's newer than the lightspeed
upgrade - version 3.0

The device is a class modem but it supports the +FAA command in all
fax class modes. When I call voice to it, it detects it as a FAX, so
it probably can only determine between fax and data in +FCLASS=0.

Does hylafax support answering calls in Voice mode by looking for "R."
as the ring singnal. IT may be able to answer and then detect a letter
that is printing for fax calling tone. Actually it can still print
ring's that "R." only happens if you enable distinctive ring. I think
the modem expects us to measure the time in milliseconds between the
"." and the "R".

But in voice mode as well as detecting DTMF it can detect a FAX tone.
Would it be better to get vgetty to answer the modem in voice mode and
when it detects a fax let hylafax pick it up?

Right now I'm screwed. I need to either get distinctive ring working
with my modem, or work out on how to make it pickup in voice and not
blast the caller with a fax tone unless it hears one in the first
instance.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

On 21/04/07, Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Luke McKee wrote:

>Are there issues when you try and use stock vgetty with the modem?
>doesn't it try and re-initialize it?
>
>What's the best way to make them play nice together.

You should be able to use the modem's "Adaptive Answer" feature to tell
faxgetty to hand the call off to vgetty if the modem does not detect CNG
from the caller.  You will want it to answer silently, though.  There
have been many discussions on this in the past.  Just search for
"adaptive answer" in the archives.