Re: [hylafax-users] MultiTech ISI card failure

On 2005.02.08 12:26 Peter Halliday wrote:
Any tips on improvement that could lead to lower costs. I contract for a political organization that does faxing in the neighborhood of 10,000 faxes per month on the low end. These are all from tax payers to their policitical figures. They currently have about 16 lines that are cyclade cards with external modems. They want to expand their lines, so I have added the 8-port MultiTech ISI card. We were thinking of the vonage only to help reduce costs with the unlimited calls. Any tips? What are other people doing to reduce their costs that are using similar volumes.

16 lines plus 8 more comes to 24. Assuming that you pay $40 per month per business line, that's $960 per month in telco line fees. By contrast, you can generally pick up a full T1 line (24 channels) for about $500 per month. So you're probably paying nearly double what you could be paying if you only used digital equipment rather than analog.

Granted, you already have the investment made into the analog equipment, but for the money you'll save in a couple of months you can easily recoup the additional investment into digital hardware. (Your hardware choices being the Eicon Diva Server or the Patton 2977.)

We typically have one area code that we have the majority of our faxing to. So cutting costs for those would be the most helpful.

Just place your fax server in a location that is "local" to that area... or contract with your telco to get a rateplan suited to your calling needs.