Re: [hylafax-users] R: Hylafax Freeze with no error or warning

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Giuseppe Dia wrote:

Hi all,
I had another occurrence of the freeze.
This time I followed Lee advice, and looked for faxgettys. They were NOT
running.
After restarting hylafax everything is nice again and the faxgettys are
there again.
I cannot find anything in the log. I noticed it just happens during the
weekend, so I suspect there's something related with inactivity.
Is there any reason why inactivity or some weird incoming fax could mess
with faxgettys? Aren't they supposed to spawn again in the event of a
problem?
Now I expect it running for a week and then die in the WE for some strange
reason.

P.s: "PollLockPokeModem: true" is on every modemd config.

Bye, and thanks,

Without knowing more about your system, I can't advise on how to set it up to respawn. But you should be able to check easily if a faxgetty is running by using a: pgrep faxgetty
You'll get a pid if it is or nothing if not.

This test can be put in a root crontab to restart it automatically like this example from my root crontab:
* * * * * /usr/bin/pgrep faxgetty >/dev/null || /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

This checks every minute for a pid of a running faxgetty and starts one if missing.

Your mileage may vary though.

Dave
--
David Forrest