From: Lee Howard [faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 11:00 AM
To: Giuseppe Sacco; Joshua Kinard
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] PAM authentication and JobProtection

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi Lee,
> thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> Il giorno gio, 09/12/2010 alle 21.14 -0800, Lee Howard ha scritto:
> [...]
>
>> Consequently for this to be resolved hfaxd would need to automatically
>> add entries to hosts.hfaxd (or some other database/table/file) which
>> could be used to assign unique uid/gid to each user, but which would not
>> replace or interfere with future authentications.  So some development
>> would be required to enhance and expand hfaxd to do this.
>>

> Do you think a new attribute in ldap would help? I mean, it would be
> possibile to add a faxGroup attribute to the currently used LDAP schema
> (is it posixUser?) and use it as hylafax uid? Of course it will not be
> usable via PAM, but it could be used when hylafax+ directly access LDAP.

Yes, this is certainly possible, but I think it requires code
development work.  And in my way of thinking if someone is going to do
some development work for this then that could be best-spent
implementing a feature that works for all authentication methods (both
PAM and LDAP).  So that's how I'd spend *my* time trying to resolve it
rather than developing something specific to LDAP.

I've added Joshua Kinard, the HylaFAX+ LDAP contributor, to this e-mail.

Joshua, with the current LDAP implementation in HylaFAX+ does hfaxd get
some kind of unique per-user uid or gid and then pass that back to
hfaxd?  (Forgive me for not re-examining the code.)  If not, do you have
any opinions on its implementation?

> Moreover, I just checked ldap authentication in hylafax+ source code.
> From what I understand, this only works on LDAP schema that have a
> groupMembership (is it Novell eDirectory schema?).

I think it was developed for Microsoft Active Directory and also Novell.

> It would not work on
> posixGroup as they use memberUid attribute instead. Is it correct?

I don't know the answer to this question, but by all means the feature
could be expanded.

Thanks,