Re: [hylafax-users] PAM authentication and JobProtection

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
Now, I have a setup where I need to get user credentials from an LDAP,
so I configured hylafax for checking credential via pam. It works well.
But then it seems hylafax uid is always 60002, for all users. So the
PublicJobQ and JobProtection are useless. As explained in hosts.hfaxd
man page, 60002 is a default value for users without uid.

Is there any solution for this setup?

Currently I do not think that there is any way for JobProtection to be useful when using an authentication mechanism other than hosts.hfaxd. For example, PAM never provides a uid or gid back to the application. The direct-LDAP (without PAM) authentication found in HylaFAX+ is similar... it provides authentication services, but there's no uid/gid passed back to the application (hfaxd).

Consequently for this to be resolved hfaxd would need to automatically add entries to hosts.hfaxd (or some other database/table/file) which could be used to assign unique uid/gid to each user, but which would not replace or interfere with future authentications. So some development would be required to enhance and expand hfaxd to do this.

Thanks,