Re: [hylafax-users] OT: trolls, was: Problem with AVM card

Andrew,

How is full duplex implemented in your modems? Does it have a hardware
echo canceler?
If it does then it could be used as a real telephony application. If
not - forget it.

Even if it did would you encourage digium to support the full duplex
voice component of your product?

Can you even name one application / commercial / non commercial which
are now using full duplex use in a form of IVR that uses voice
recognition or allows forwarding voice calls through a modem to an
extension?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I too may have even
considered buying one because not many analogue modems support full
duplex, providing it has asterisk support.

My old job had an 8 port mainpine board running an ifax.com compiled
rpm downloaded Redcarpet (RH ES Linux), but we were not using any
voice with the product.

This is definitely an off topic issue as it applies more to VOIP
related discussion, but I'd like to reiterate I didn't bring up this
whole full dulex saga!

As for ISDN, it is the best way of getting support for DID (direct
inwards dial fax #) and for inbound calls line rental only per port is
comparable if not equal to that of analogue PSTN.
Just just another reason to add all the others I mentioned before.

For outbound fax use over PSTN, with the possibility of long distance
faxing (call time significant) and line contention I do give it to the
V.34 modem camp as the best option.

The V.34 carrier (SuperG3) solves issues that used to make ISDN the
preferred choice low error faxing. When T.38 support takes off with
most VOIP providers the need to buy hardware will become redundant in
some cases.
The T.38 version 3 it supports V.34 faxing though not the most common
implementation - whether the VOIP provider will do this through their
VOIP hardware's DSP or a modem bank is another thing. Either option is
configurable on audiocodes media gateways, and that's what my VOIP
provider uses.

http://www.gaoresearch.com/products/faxsoftware/other/t38pkg.php
http://www.gaoresearch.com/products/faxsoftware/other/group3fax.php
http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.php

Great ! It's always useful to have support resource available.
Truce accepted ;)

Cheers,

Luke