Re: [hylafax-users] OT: trolls, was: Problem with AVM card

I wrote before...

I brought that comment because someone was having trouble with the
same ISDN card (AVM fritz!) and a hylafax vendor mentioned in the
HOWTOs started suggesting to investigate buying analogue modems, in a
country that heavily favors ISDN for both home and business use.....

Lee wrote:
I don't think that
constantly harassing them about what you may assume their interests are
is truly productive.

That is a bit harsh considering in the example listed above this vendor listed on the hylfax+ website dropped the name and phone number of their German distributor without really answering any question about the original problem about the existing ISDN card.

Not only did they gave an unqualified criticism of their competitors
who make one of the few multi-port ISDN solutions (Eicon) which is
another vendor listened in the HOWTO on your own sourceforge page as
"The Eicon Diva Server is known to work well"
http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/slnxen/hylafax.asp . Do you agree
with the comments of Andrew from Mainpine? If your website on sf.net
needs to be updated to reflect this change in heart. [nb: original
source of those comments is hylafax upstream not sf.net]

This Linux user who made this request for help of course is free to
choose whatever solution they want to use at the end of the day, but
wouldn't you think we could help them have a crack at their existing
hardware as per the original request? I don't have my ISDN line
provisioned here yet so I'm limited in what support I can provide.

On topic: Maybe Marcel could try using the CAPI layer from MISDN with
capi4hylafax. Also try the latest sources for the fcpci driver suse
ported to 2.6. I'll report what works early in early June. Or just try
spandsp solution with asterisk (iaxmodem).

Lee keep in mind that your contribution to open-source puts you in
good repute, though the same may not apply for everyone.

Would you be willing to encourage the everyone to back up their
suggestions / criticisms with facts / examples when they may have a
conflict of interest or when they may see a dollar benefit from the
suggestions they provide? Sorry but I'm still a realist when it comes
to this.

Cheers,

Luke