Re: [hylafax-users] OT: trolls, was: Problem with AVM card

The offending party just outed themselves after I posted my
supplementary response to Lee. Good...

My rebuttal.

My views are based on the testing that we have done in
our labs which tells me that IS101/V.253 supported is buggy and that most
'>full-duplex' modems are not full-duplex. If you have test data that
implies that things have changed in the last couple of years then I would be
interested... we maintain an interest in all things relating to the wired
telco interface.

1) Duplex has absolutely nothing to do with the modem's ability to
detect and report calling tones and DTMF whilst in voice mode
(at+FCLASS=8). This feedback is given using the most widely accepted
part of the V253 standard. That's the whole point of the bug nothing
else.
2) Duplex only has to do when you are running some kind of 2 way voice
application. Nobody is likely to use a voice modem with a serial link
or any kind for any kind full duplex application to do latency and
lack of echo cancellation.
3) The proposed implementation for the patch involves still using
flexible configuration files and shell scripts / configure / test the
modems capabilities. Even if it is buggy only the lowest common
denominator of features need to be accepted.

So I don't care about full duplex support in modems - as who would?
So what's it have to do with sensing calling tones... NOTHING :)

If someone really did need to support full duplex in their application
they would be buying multiport ISDN cards or hardware that users a
better API (CAPI/asterisk etc) than not Mainepine Rockforce or other
V253/IS101 devices. Nice of you to bring up full duplex voice support.

Can you tell us all what's better for full duplex voice in you
'professional opinion': A  Mainpine Rockforce board or active ISDN
hardware?

You are correct that ISDN is widely deployed in Germany.  However, we sell
considerable quantities of analog hardware into that country for two main
reasons I believe... firstly, the advantages of V.34 fax are well understood
by many customers, and secondly, analog fax is extremely simple to deploy
because many TA's have FXS ports.  My advice is always to keep things simple
because the end user will then have the best user experience... indeed, I
would argue that the fax machine is a perfect example of KISS philosophy.

I hope your advise would be different to someone in Australia. All business TA's in Australa sold as Onramp2 do not include anything other than a BRI port. Only home users get voice ports on TAs. Is this the same in Germany?

KISS = If it don't work buy a Mainpine board. What could be more simpler?

My hope is that you will stay around and help support and develop HylaFAX.
Unfortunately, many 'candles' such as your own burn brightly for a short
period and are then never seen again...

I hope that's not a threat to pull my subscription from the mailing list!

I'll be here for a while as I'm working on a CRM / hylafax integration
project right now for my own small business.
A blog will be available at http://lintelsystems.com.au/~luke/ in the
near future that will cover any of my experience with hylafax.

I assure the list, I'll be here and a regular contributor for many
moons, 'candles' or sundial shadows to come. This will only be to the
detriment of Andrew if he continues to not to provide real answers to
address the problem effecting the user and be too quick to offer
product placement where it may not be the most apparent solution.

I don't look like I'm going anywhere if you read bug 859 (as Andrew
clearly hasn't) as I'm working on a new feature for hylafax. Anyone
can see from that jibe from Andrew that I've hit a raw spot. Nice wit
though.

I've used and posted to Hylafax in the fast when I setup a fax to
email gateway and linked it to a CRM at my old job. Also I've even
worked with a Mainpine that's used for outgoing fax for a leading
construction data provider in Australia. I've got no bias against the
product just the marketing methods.

I've been using Hylafax for over 2 years I just haven't posted much
until I had a problem which required development effort to overcome it
as suggested to do in the Hylafax howto.

I don't think there is any more I can add. I'll leave it up to the
mailing list to judge us both. You can be the corporate troll and I'll
be the FOSS nazi like Dan Bertstine of qmail fame.
Andrew: I think we need to get a private chat room if we are going to
take this further baby.

Andrew, in future, before plugging / flaming in the future - check
your facts, and consider that this is a open forums where people can
subject your comments to fair 'peer review'.
Enough said.

Cheers,

Luke McKee