Re: [hylafax-users] OT: trolls, was: Problem with AVM card

Can you tell us all what's better for full duplex voice in you
'professional opinion': A  Mainpine Rockforce board or active ISDN
hardware?
Adrian wrote:
Well, since I don't do voice, but fax, my opinion might not be
considered "professional" here, and in fact, I can't even answer this
specific question.

Adrian,

It was a loaded question. I wasn't questioning the use of mainpine
boards for small fax deployments at all (2-16 lines.). The topic of
voice modems some how got into this tread again because I brought up
that I thought the support people at Mainpine comments to the lists
were suggestive of commercial bias. My justifications for that were
posted earlier and I don't want to continue talking about it.

I was referring to "full duplex voice" that the boys at Mainpine said
that the lack of that specific feature in many voice modems was a
reason for not adding any more +FCLASS=8 voice mode fuctionality into
faxgetty (bug 859). Full duplex implies that you need to have two way
voice conversation - i.e. a 2-way person to person conversation or a
voice recognition app. +FCLASS=8 can just be used for tone detection.
In fax gateways the use of full duplex isn't requires in half duplex
mode playback can be stopped on DTMF input.

I have only seen two full duplex voice modem application in my life
that uses the AT command set to interface with modem hardware. One was
an xwindows based speakerphone app that used to be on geocites (a home
project that was for USR modems). The other was the ISDN4Linux channel
in older versions of Asterisk.

It was a loaded question because like I said earlier nobody really
uses modem hardware for voice telephony. There used to be support for
half duplex voice modems in asterisk but it's been dropped since 1.4
or maybe earlier.

I said earlier I'd like to see the boys at mainpine get a hylafax
server running 1.2/1.0 using a modified version of the ISDN4Linux
channel driver (full duplex using at commands) working with their
modem and tell us how it goes. If full duplex voice is such a concern
maybe they could put their money and time so to speak where their
mouth is.

That would be a credible test of it's full duplex capability. They
would also need some kind of hardware echo cancellation in the modem
for it to be a credible voice application in the first instance.

P.S. Your Ifax "hylfax-enhanced" feature with barcode tracking support
is very nice.

Cheers,

Luke