Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX v4.3.2 cannot initialize multiTech modem

George H wrote:

You've got to get your modem config file (config.ttyS0) generated -
either through faxaddmodem or some other means.

I would like to see why faxaddmodem is failing.  Can you run faxaddmodem
like this:

sh -x faxaddmodem ttyS0

And send the output to me.

Done, it is attached in a tar.gz file

+ SPEEDS='38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200'
+ for SPEED in '$SPEEDS'
+ printf ' 38400'
38400+ SendToModem AT
+ sleep 1
++ tr -ds '\015' '\012'
++ /bin/sed -n '$p'
+ RESULT=AA
+ test AA = OK

Here is the primary problem. When sending "AT" to the modem the modem responds with an "AA" result... or at least faxaddmodem thinks so. Is that what happens when you do an "AT" command with minicom? It *should* result in "OK".

I cannot seem to generate the config.ttyS0 file. But there is a
"config" file

That config file is for faxq and not faxgetty/faxsend, so copying it to config.ttyS0 will not work.

Worse-case scenario you should be able to construct the config file by hand. The shortest route to that would be to start from any USR modem config files that you've seen passed around on this list in the archives. Compare that with the "prototype" in /var/spool/hylafax/config/usr-xon and go from there to create your etc/config.ttyS0 file.