Re: [hylafax-users] Cannot send faxes using Duxbury/IP586x modem

Frank Millman wrote:

I have installed Hylafax 4.3.1 on Fedora Core 6. I am trying to get working
a Duxbury 56k fax/modem, which uses the IC Ace IP586x 56K V.90 chip.

After composing this message, I have learned about winmodems, and I now
realise that my problem may simply be that this modem is a winmodem, and
without a linux driver it will never work. If this is the case, please
ignore the rest of the message. I have googled to try to find a linux driver
for this chip, but without success.

Given that you can already "talk" to your modem means that it's either not a winmodem or if it is that you already have the winmodem driver installed and it's working at least nominally. Realize, however, that in the case of most winmodems the functionality of it depends entirely up on the linmodem driver. So if it is a winmodem it could function differently in Windows than in Linux simply because the driver is different.

I have an identical modem attached to a Windows XP machine, using the
standard Microsoft fax software. I am testing by sending a fax to/from each
machine.

I can send a fax from Windows, and Hylafax receives it correctly.

I cannot send a fax from Hylafax to Windows. The Windows machine can receive
faxes from outside sources, so I don't think the problem is on the receive
side.

Okay so we have two machines with the same modem trying to send faxes back and forth to each other. One is Windows using Microsoft Fax and the other is Linux with HylaFAX.

When the Microsoft Fax system sends to the HylaFAX system the fax is sent and received properly. When the HylaFAX system sends to the Microsoft Fax system is where things break down.

So at this point we need to examine the session logs. (Ideally we'd look at logs from both sender and receiver, but you sent just the sender logs, so I'll make due.)

Feb 23 09:28:23.00: [ 4248]: <-- [11:AT+FTM=145\r]
Feb 23 09:28:24.68: [ 4248]: --> [7:CONNECT]
Feb 23 09:28:24.68: [ 4248]: <-- data [1024]
Feb 23 09:28:24.68: [ 4248]: <-- data [1024]
Feb 23 09:28:24.68: [ 4248]: <-- data [652]
Feb 23 09:28:24.68: [ 4248]: <-- data [2]
Feb 23 09:28:25.24: [ 4248]: --> [10:NO CARRIER]

I'd *really* like to see the session log from Microsoft Fax when it sends to HylaFAX using this modem. However, seeing the receiver session log in this case would also help somewhat to know what's going on here.

You see, the "NO CARRIER" response there is weird. It's certainly not correct. According to T.31 (the spec defining the commands and responses being used here) the NO CARRIER response is invalid. The modem can only respond OK or ERROR at that point. So it's really an unknown what the modem is doing.

Other modems will say "NO CARRIER" at that point if they got hung up. However, "NO CARRIER" traditionally means that the modem detected a loss of carrier from a state where it was listening for and hearing carrier from the remote side. And I don't think that either of those apply to this situation.

I've seen this kind of thing before - I can't remember if it was Duxbury or not - but we were able to get the receive logs here and notice that the receiver was not getting any of that modulated data (TCF, the 1024+1024+652 bytes being sent there)... which I had to basically conclude, then, that the modem or modem driver was simply broken.

It's possible that the Duxbury intends NO CARRIER to mean the same as OK. And I could send you a code patch that would make that happen. However, I strongly suspect that it would not help, based on my past experience in this matter.

So at this point I'd like to either see the receiver log here or the Microsoft Fax log when it sends to HylaFAX.

Thanks,