Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX v4.3.2 cannot initialize multiTech modem

You've got to get your modem config file (config.ttyS0) generated -
either through faxaddmodem or some other means.

I would like to see why faxaddmodem is failing.  Can you run faxaddmodem
like this:

sh -x faxaddmodem ttyS0

And send the output to me.

Done, it is attached in a tar.gz file

My problem was in fact that the hardware installer put my bus mouse
to the device ttyS0 >adress so this port was used by a concurrent user
that's why Hylafax was not able to >initialise. I solve it by
rebuilding config.ttyS0 on ttyS1

To solution your problem

A) chek in /var/spool/hylafax/etc/ if the file config.ttyS0 is there;
remove it and re-create it >using faxaddmodem; if not you just have to
create it.

B) if it's persisting, create the file as config.ttyS1 and do not
change your physical >connection in back of the computer.

I removed the /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 file to make sure nothing is
locking it. I checked ps -A to make sure no process is accessing the
serial modem. Looked ok.

I cannot seem to generate the config.ttyS0 file. But there is a
"config" file and when looking inside says the following:

---
LogFacility:		daemon
CountryCode:		961
AreaCode:		01
LongDistancePrefix:	0
InternationalPrefix:	00
DialStringRules:	etc/dialrules.europe
ServerTracing:		1
ContCoverPage:		/var/spool/fax
TimeOfDay:		Any
---

So I renamed it to config.ttyS0 and restarted hylaFAX. The logs show
that faxgetty tries to say "HELLO" (something that wasn't there before
in my logs) and then I Get the same error that the modem cannot be
initialized and that its wedged.

I am pretty sure the serial modem is connected to ttyS0, connecting to
it from minicom and cu on that device works and issuing commands to it
works on ttyS0.

I still did not mess with the setserial thing. I'll try that later and
report back.

Regards
--
"Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to do it"
"The probability of anything happening is in inverse ratio to its desirability"