From: Rob Rothberg [mailto:rrothberg@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 03 February 2007 18:24
To: andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mark; hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Using a serial modem through a converter from ethernet to serial

FWIW, we tried the VM route initially here.  I started small with a VM on an Intel Core 2 Duo system with a gig of memory.  This system did nothing but run the VM.
On the VM I installed Asterisk, HylaFAX and integrated the two with IAXmodems (actually I should say Lee Howard did this for me).  First I tried faxing over VoIP.  Broadvoice failed 100% of the time.
I then tried Vitelity, that worked occasioanlly.  Clearly VoIP was not the answer, so II interfaced Asterisk to 4 PSTN lines with an SPA-400.  This failed because of volume level issues most likely as a result of the SPA-400.

Next I installed Hylafax on a dedicated box and purchased a Mainpine Rockforce Quattro+ and this worked very successfully, but it wasn't enough to meet my needs.

I then had a T-1 installed with 11 PRI channels and purchased a RedFone FoneBridge2.  I still had Asterisk running in a VM working as our production PBX at this point, so I interfaced the VM Asterisk install
with the FoneBridge.  Initially the two pieces of hardware had a Cisco layer 2 switch between them and timings between the two pieces of hardware weren't good enough for 100% reliability.  I then plugged them into
a dedicated switch, some improvement but still not good enough.  RedFone told me I needed a dedicated NIC on the server and to plug the FoneBridge into it directly.  The VM was just introducing too much
latency.  I finally just installed Asterisk on the dedicated Hylafax server with two NICs, and plugged in the FoneBridge2 directly.  Lee set up 11 IAXmodems interfaced to Asterisk.  No more issues.  We've been sending around 500 pages a day reliably with this config (reliably in the sense all the telecomm stuff is working great, there are other unrelated issues but they're being worked out).

The lesson I learned here was that while it might be POSSIBLE to get a VM working reliably (probably not the free version, you'd probably need to play with the $$$ version and tweak performance parameters and memory allocation), it's not worth the time and effort, and I don't know how long it would take before I trusted it for faxing.  It was fine for voice but faxing is a different story.