Re: [hylafax-users] Using a serial modem through a converter from ethernet to serial

andrew rinaldi <andrew.rinaldi <at> mainpine.com> writes:

> Hi Davide,

< snip >
< snip >

> > Hi Davide,
> >
> > I suspect that this will never work reliably.... Firstly, running HylaFAX on
> > a virtual server removes the tight timing and control needed between the
> > protocol engine and the fax hardware, and secondly, the Ethernet to serial
> > converter does the same thing but with even less control of the timing.

Andrew,

Do you not believe that the use of good quality network-serial adapters, and
virtual servers - if they are VERY FAST, would work reliably?  I believe that
many virtual servers out there are over-powered and under-utilized.  At least in
my case I have been experimenting with VMware Server (free version) on my
personal Acer Aspire 3000LMi laptop, and am using with it an ESP-2MI serial
adapter with a good serial modem - it receives and sends faxes just fine.

Mark