Re: [hylafax-users] Using a serial modem through a converter from ethernet to serial

Hi Andrew

First of all, thanks for the replay!

andrew rinaldi ha scritto:
Hi Davide,

I suspect that this will never work reliably.... Firstly, running HylaFAX on
a virtual server removes the tight timing and control needed between the
protocol engine and the fax hardware, and secondly, the Ethernet to serial
converter does the same thing but with even less control of the timing.

To be honest, the customer knows that this can be a stop issue: "he only want to make a try..."

With respect to your question about modem control signals then this will be an issue for the serial driver.... most apps can live without RI but DCD is often an issue if it's missing.

So, DCD is needed, for properly handling the fax to serial protocol?
(I'm wondering how faxsetup managed to complete without problem, perhaps is test only some AT commands and thus it does need all the things)

Ever thought of a multiport fax card ? It just plugs in and works.....

If you can suggest a multiport fax card that is supported by VMWARE ESX let me know...

I know that I can setup a physical machine with linux and a multiport fax card (and I have already done this kind of setup for many of our customer), buy this particular customer want to use "virtual servers" and thus he has to live with problems that this kind of solution has...

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439 andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com