Re: [hylafax-users] Using a serial modem through a converter from ethernet to serial

Hi Mark,

'Speed' is not the issue here... With Ethernet it's what happens when you
get large packet loss (which equates to lost 'audio' in our case)... And
with virtualisation it's the loss of deterministic behaviour (which degrades
low level timing)... In both cases some systems will work and some won't...
And the 'working' systems can almost always be broken by heavy work load on
the network or system.

A good example of what happens with Ethernet packet loss is to run a VoIP
call across a busy network and listen to the call quality degrade.... In fax
this quickly equates to a failed call.

Have you ever stress tested your setup ?  How many fax's do you send/receive
in a typical day ?  In our lab we've been able to break most (maybe all)
virtual servers that we have tested for use with fax servers.

Ultimately, I'm trying to encourage people to keep it simple because in my
experience that always works out for the best.

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com