Re: [hylafax-users] Problem Faxing To Brother NSC/IntelliFax

Robert McIntosh wrote:

The problem is still there, with an odd twist after further investigation. Our set-up is unique and awkward (as is probably fairly common) and I fully expect "oh well, no wonder!" responses.
We use WHFC to submit fax jobs to the hylafax queue. We have a custom application written on top of MS Access that takes a form and inserts data and prints it to the print device that translates to postscript and thereby submits it to the fax queue from WHFC. This process works great for probably 99% of our clients that receive the fax. For clients with the Brother MFC-3100C/MFC-8600 based fax machines (we have two that I know of), they only receive the top fifth of the one-page fax. This continues to be a problem after upgrading hylafax to 4.2.3
The twist is that, from other applications, like MS Word, if I submit a full-page document to WHFC to hylafax, the whole document comes through just fine for the same machines. So, I've written it off to somewhere between MS Access and that specific line of fax machines.
If there are suggestions out there from the hylafax community regarding this issue, I'm all ears. I fully expect that there are none, as it doesn't seem to be a hylafax problem. I can only hope that someone can echo problems faxing to the Brother MFC's.

First off, I own a Brother MFC-3100C, so if you could please send me the problematic PostScript file that WHFC delivers to hfaxd (so you need to snatch it out of /var/spool/hylafax/docq before the send is complete), then I can try reproducing your problem here.

Secondly, yes, it sounds like... for some reason... the TIFF that is being generated is not acceptable to the fax machine. It's apparently saying MCF to only the ECM frames, but it didn't check the TIFF beforehand to make sure that it got the entire TIFF all the way down to EOFB or RTC. So it's TIFF decoder takes issue with the TIFF at some point one fifth the way down the page and stops decoding.

Try sending to these destinations with MR instead of MMR. To do that you'd have to disable ModemSoftRTFCC and then specify 2D-MR in your job submission (or set supportsMMR:no in the info file... or something).

Thanks,