[hylafax-users] Mandriva 2006 Hylafax software package sends corrupt e-mail attachments

I wanted to get this into the list for those that *will* encounter this.

I do a ton of faxing through HylaFax, so I'm a number one fan of the software.  Basically, loaded a fresh Mandriva 2006 box, loaded up the default packages that come with it for Hylafax.  Can send and receive fax just fine.  One problem was, having the server e-mail received fax caused a corrupt attachment. It didn't matter what type it was, be it tif, pdf, etc.  I check the tif files on the server, they are just fine.  Finally figured out, Hylafax was using the wrong encoding for the e-mails.  That's why they always came up blank or with corrupt messages when you try to open the attachments.

Here's where to fix it.

Go and edit the /var/spool/fax/etc/setup.cache file on your Mandriva box

Down a little bit is the area for encoding, it has something set that I don't even know what it should do.  Never less, it won't work that way.

Change the ENCODING area to

ENCODING='base64'

Save file, be merry and happy. Life is good again.

I hope this saves someone else hours of trying to figure out this issue :-)