Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

At 10:16 PM 4/4/01 +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
>At 01:26 PM 4/4/01 +0200, Eric Veldhuyzen wrote:
>>On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:55:57PM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
>> > I noticed Eric tried this, but at a very high speed 115K i think,
maybe if
>> > he has another go perhaps at 38400 or 9600 he might have more luck.
>>
>>Yes, I tried this first with the old version, and that one didn;t
>>complain. The 4.1 Btea 3 version complains that this speed is non
>>standard, so I tried it at lower speeds, but it gave me the same result.
>
>Yes i think faxaddmodem had some fiddling between the two versions to try a
>get rid of an error message, unfortunately at the moment i can't remember
>the exact changes, should probably go and have a look at the cvs history.

That was me.  There was an old routine verifyModemRate or something like
that which served no purpose (as its often-faulty verification result never
took effect anywhere) and made a lot of noise while it did that lot of
nothing.  So we got rid of it and replaced it with a simple check at the
outset of faxaddmodem:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
# Test selected modem speed against a list of known standards

if [ "$SPEED" != "" -a "$SPEED" != 38400 -a "$SPEED" != 19200 \
   -a "$SPEED" != 9600 -a "$SPEED" != 4800 -a "$SPEED" != 2400 \
   -a "$SPEED" != 1200 ]; then
   cat<<EOF

Warning, you have selected a DTE-DCE communication rate ($SPEED) that
differs from known standards. $SPEED may not work correctly for sending
and receiving facsimile: check your modem manual to make sure that
$SPEED is acceptable.

EOF

Consequently, if you feed it something like 'faxaddmodem -s 115200 ttyS1'
then you are going to generate an error here, which may not be a problem,
though.  I really wonder if such a high communication rate is even
desireable here, though.