Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

At 12:55 PM 4/2/01 +0200, Eric Veldhuyzen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just tried to install Hylafax from the stable Debian distribution
>(version 4.0.2-14).

Uninstall this and install 4.1beta3 from source.  I just did this Thursday
evening with Debian, so I know that it works fine.  Believe me, you *don't*
want to use 4.0pl2 when you can use beta3.

> The program faxsetup runs without any problem,
>but I can't get the faxaddmodem program to recognise the modem.

>> Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200
>> Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
>> correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
>> all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.

This is probably caused by some other process using the device at the time
but not locking it properly.  Is it set up for PPP or something like that?

>I've also tried it with the -s flag to faxaddmodem, but then it complains
with this:

>> Using user-specified 115200 to talk to modem.
>> /bin/stty: standard input: unable to perform all requested operations
>> /usr/sbin/faxaddmodem: kill: (25850) - No such pid
>> [1]+  Terminated              ( trap 0 1 2 15; while true; do
>>     sleep 10; echo ""; echo "Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your
modem eh?";
>> done )

Again, it's complaining that it can't communicate with the modem, probably
because some other process is using it without properly locking it.  The
output here is quite ugly, though, because you've got bash v2 and 4.0pl2
was a bit weak in its bash scripting this way.  You shouldn't see this ugly
output in 4.1beta3