Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

At 03:28 AM 4/3/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>Nope, you're right.  Lee??  Grab Darren and whomever else of the SWAT
>team is around, too.  I'm temporarily stumped.

I've been following this thread, and I did what I could to help initially
(which wasn't much more than provoke an upgrade 4.0pl2 -> 4.1beta3).

I've used probably two dozen different modem models, internal PCI or ISA
and external, with HylaFAX over the course of the past year with OSes like
RedHat, Caldera, SuSE, Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD on a
variety of x86 and PPC platforms.  I haven't ever encountered a situation
where minicom could talk to the modem and faxaddmodem couldn't.

For that reason, I think we're dealing with some other problem here.
HylaFAX has an expectation that its modem functions the way an external
modem works via the serial port and that it has that device's full
attention.  If, somewhere along the way, that expectation is not met, then
you'll get this problem.  As I've mentioned before, usually this problem is
because some other process is accessing the device when faxaddmodem goes to
probe it - usually that process is faxgetty, which *shouldn't* be running
when you run faxaddmodem.  But, I don't suppose that this is the case here.

So, the way to troubleshoot this problem is to open up faxaddmodem with an
ASCII reader and go to the place where the trouble is (probably around line
844 with the SendToModem function) and see what the particular error is.