Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax ?

** High Priority **

We have an OCR program that we are going to tweak.  It will probably be me doing the tweaking.
We becomes you so quickly.  I have a fax/modem 3com U.S. Robotics Model 5686 connected to a serial port on
a Linux box (Red Hat).   We had a Netgear ISDN modem and couldn't get it to work correctly so we went to an analog line but I will pass on your ISDN comments.  I'm sure the cost of the analog line is right up our alley, though our phone system is ISDN.  Thanks and will let you know if I reinvent the wheel.  BTW yes I do work for a living :-).

SSgt Rafiq Mateen
USUHS/UIS
3012959800

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 07:36:32AM -0400, Rafiq Mateen wrote:
> My name is SSgt Mateen, USAF, and I work at USUHS (www.usuhs.mil).

Welcome aboard.  I'd's say ", sir", but you work for a living.  :-)

> I would like to pick the group's brain if I could. I too have been
> tasked to provide a cheap faxing solution. Working at a college there
> are tons of fax machines working overtime. I've been tasked with
> setting up a system where there is one centralized fax-in phone number
> for the university.

This oughtta be fun.

> From there I would need to read in the fax and disperse it to the
> person it belongs to. I've been tasked with setting up a database
> (done) with everyone's name and assigning them a faxid number. I will
> use the following page http://131.158.7.207/uis/Rafiq_HTML/fax2.php
> to allow people to find out what there faxid number is. Once the fax
> come in it will need to recognize the faxid number and then send the
> fax in an email to the person it belongs to. If the person is not
> found I will have to return a message to the fax machine saying what
> ever error occurred.

Oooh.

> The OCR will have to be tweaked so I can get the faxid number off the
> incoming fax. I will worry about sending an error fax after I have the
> other parts built. Steps will be put in place to keep the database
> current.

The OCR will have to be *found*, first.  You do realize that HylaFAX
doesn't come with any, and there, as yet, doesn't appear to be anything
reasonable in Open Source.  Well, at least, there wasn't when I looked
last, which was about 4 months back.

> It seems to have gone from a team effort with my just doing the
> PERL programming to my doing the whole thing.  Imagine that.
> If you have any suggestions please feel to email with them.  Thank you
> in advance.

My primary suggestion, other than "subscribe to hylafax-devel" is "if
you have any luck with OCR, please let us know.  :-)"

One other thing you might find useful; we've recently had reports that
if you can get your fax lines delivered via ISDN BRI, the ZyXel 2864i
ISDN faxmodem can extract the *called* directory number, and put it in
a place where you can use it for DID.  It is, so far as I know, the
only hardware that can do that practically, at the moment.  How it
actually works as a faxmodem, I don't believe the gent said, but ISTR
pretty decently...

Best of luck, and keep us up to date.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@baylink.com
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 804 5015