Re: [hylafax-users] OT: trolls, was: Problem with AVM card

Luke,

I disagree with a number of the points that you raise.  Specifically;

>I brought that comment because someone was having trouble with the
>same ISDN card (AVM fritz!) and a hylafax vendor mentioned in the
>HOWTOs started suggesting to investigate buying analogue modems, in a
>country that heavily favors ISDN for both home and business use.....

You are correct that ISDN is widely deployed in Germany.  However, we sell
considerable quantities of analog hardware into that country for two main
reasons I believe... firstly, the advantages of V.34 fax are well understood
by many customers, and secondly, analog fax is extremely simple to deploy
because many TA's have FXS ports.  My advice is always to keep things simple
because the end user will then have the best user experience... indeed, I
would argue that the fax machine is a perfect example of KISS philosophy.

>Those criticisms made by this hardware vendor against bug 859 were
>unfounded too, and they would not retract them when confronted. That's
>a tactic well employed by Microsoft we know to be called FUD.

I don't have any strong views on whether 'bug' 859 will be a useful feature
or not.... I leave this sort of decision to the community.  I did have some
reservations regarding some of the concepts employed but I believe that Lee
has corrected most of those which appeared flawed when I read them.  I do
have issues with your assertion regarding full-duplex voice support on
commodity modems.  My views are based on the testing that we have done in
our labs which tells me that IS101/V.253 supported is buggy and that most
'full-duplex' modems are not full-duplex.  If you have test data that
implies that things have changed in the last couple of years then I would be
interested... we maintain an interest in all things relating to the wired
telco interface.

>Every now and then a business will want to help a small home user that
>is not likely to become their customer in the short term and that is
>commendable. It also generates genuine goodwill from those who read it
>after the fact. If businesses do want to do look for opportunity in
>open source they shouldn't selectively support users who just happen
>to work for a company that has a purchasing budget.

As a company Mainpine has customers that include everything from the home
user to the largest corporations.  We regularly contribute to commercial
news groups and open source projects such as HylaFAX and RelayFax.  We have
supplied test resources and other support to the HylaFAX developers and have
maintained a 'support' presence here for a number of years.  We actively
promote international standardisation efforts including the ITU-T and work
with chip vendors to improve fax chipsets.  We manufacture products in the
US and UK, and believe strongly in environmental issues and fair trade.
Personally, I think this is an impressive list of attributes for a small
company.

My hope is that you will stay around and help support and develop HylaFAX.
Unfortunately, many 'candles' such as your own burn brightly for a short
period and are then never seen again...

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited - Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com