Re: [hylafax-users] T.30 T2 timeout, expected signal not received

Thanks. I've ordered two MT5634ZBA-V92 from ifax.com, they will be shipped by fedex int.priority (3-5 days). I'll keep you updated.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Howard" <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "SCIN - Danilo Bottino" <info@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] T.30 T2 timeout, expected signal not received

SCIN - Danilo Bottino wrote:

Now you guys puzzled me on what do I have to buy to made the thing work.

Is there anywhere a list of external analog modems that work _for sure_ with hylafax? Ok, I had a look to the hw compatibility list on hylafax.org but I can't believe that there are only two (multitech) modems working. I had a look here http://shop.ifax.com/-c-31_1_25.php is the multitech multimodem usb (the first in the list) worth the buy for a linux box? I had bad days with usb modems on linux.

These are the external analog modems that I have used for any significant duration (none of them are USB):

USR Courier 3367
Zyxel U90E
MultiTech MT5634ZBA-V92
Hayes Accura 336

The USR functioned better than the Zyxel, but I wouldn't recommend either of them. Both the MultiTech and the Hayes worked very well. The MultiTech supported more features.

Curiously, the chipset in the Zyxel was, I believe, a Conexant, which I believe was just a later generation of the same Rockwell chipset that is in the Hayes. So either Hayes was doing some needed patching to the Rockwell firmware themselves, or Conexant somehow messed things up between the two. Generally I have found Conexant and Rockwell chipsetted modems to be reliable, although I'm not surprised to find modems with those chipsets that are not.

When I first started using HylaFAX I went through probably a dozen internal modems before I settled on an old Rockwell-chipsetted ISA modem. I only hope that we can make your modem-choosing experience less troublesome.