Re: [hylafax-users] faxing word documents

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 anthonyd@rhsonline.net wrote:

> we are using a program called by request to talk to our hp3k.  this
> program was using winfax pro to fax the documents out (it creates an
> overlay w/ an image, then sends it) but we would like to use hylafax (its
> much more stable and its faster)
> I got the guys at byrequest to see if we could talk to the hylafax server.
>  they said its not MAPI compliant, so pretty much no, but they could write
> the files that are faxed to ms word documents.

Can they print them to a PC printer?  There are several windows printer
clients for use with Hylafax. We use WHFC here.

> Just faxing these from the command line gives an error, but if i go into
> word an print to file, i can fax those fine.  Is there any program
> (windows or linux.. preferably linux though) to batch convert a whole
> bunch of files from ms word to prn or ps so that hylafax can fax them?

Im not sure I get how the data flow works in this, so this might not make
sense in your case. We have an application that prints (invoices) on
pre-printed stock.  Our accounting folks *really* wanted to be able to fax
them from Hylafax. We ended up using creating a Word macro (I think more
accurately a VBA script) that would read in the data file from the app,
take a template word document with the invoice form, merge them and then
"print" it to the WHFC printer. That might be a path to look at.

OTOH, I just did some Googling, if the app is from Hillary Software, their
web page sez: "byREQUEST allows you to distribute reports from HP3000,
HP9000, RS6000, SUN, LINUX, DEC and NT Systems and Servers
electronically".  Seeing as how they actually mention Linux in there,
maybe you just need to find the right person there to apply the clue by
four to.

Joe Matuscak
Rohrer Corporation
717 Seville Road