Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

At 11:10 AM 4/9/01 +0200, Eric Veldhuyzen wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 02:03:29AM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
> > Er why not just copy one of the modem config files and just hand edit the
> > phone number etc using vi or something and then run faxgetty from inittab
> > or faxmodem to tell the queuer.
>
>Great idea! But I don't have any modem config files yet, that's why I
>want to run faxaddmodem in the first place. And, maybe this is my fault,
>I can't find any documentation on what to do to create (a) modem config
>file(s). The only thing I see is 'run faxaddmodem', and that doesn't work.

The modem config files should be in the config subdirectory of whatever
DIR_SPOOL was set to when the software was built.

ie something like /var/spool/fax/config

> > faxaddmodem is an optional component to make life easier, it is not
> > necessary for hylafax to function.
>
>Yeah, I figured that out. But since faxaddmodem is (as far as I can see)
>the only 'documentation' to how a modem should be configured it would
>be nice if I could make this thing work without reading the source code.
>
>Could you please send me a sample modem configuration to adapt? That
>would make it quite a bit easier, I guess.

Depends on your modem, look at the output of the ATI* parameters and
AT+FCLASS=?.  Look for the closest model in the config directory.  Copy it
to the DIR_SPOOL/etc directory renaming the file to config.<device>  ie
config.ttyS2

Then add:
FAXNumber:      +012.3.456789012

Then start faxgetty from inittab on the tty, or perhaps use faxmodem to
tell the scheduler that the modem is available.

There are many other parameters for the config file, see man config, but
they are mostly optional.

- Robert