Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:59:17AM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
> I saw he tested minicom and sms_client and something called fax2send or
> something(i haven't heard of this package before).  The first 2 at least
> really do not strain the system, it would be quite easy for a problem with
> say the cable not to show up when running these packages.  About fax2send i
> really don't know what that does(can it produce a log of what it sent to
> the modem?).
>
> I would only tend to believe he had ok hardware if he could run something a
> bit tougher first perhaps a hardware flow control ppp connection or got
> mgetty to successfully send and receive at least a couple of faxes with
> some sort of flow control.

Hmmm... not even being able to *find* the modem doesn't seem like it
fits in that category to *me*... I could understand if he set up ok,
but had one of the traditional new-system problems.  But not even being
able to get an Amen from the modem seems to me like a much more
fundamental problem.

> The other suspicion i have if the hardware checks out ok is something weird
> with the version of stty or perhaps the linux serial drivers not working
> properly.  I briefly looked back through the logs and could find no cases
> even remotely similar.

Nope; I don't remember anything either.  <sigh>

Well, you can't win 'em all.  Guess we'll have to refund the man's
money.  :-}

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink