Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX not receiving faxes.

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
* Dennis M. Linton <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [081125 22:51]:

If you do not have much invested in your FC9 setup, it might be a good idea to dump it and install Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). It is a very user and noob friendly OS. Everything you might want for your Hylafax setup except maybe AvantFax, is in the repositories - that is, built to install and run correctly on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a flavour of Debian, by the way. I prefer the gnome desktop while others like KDE (Kubuntu); I find KDE visually noisy and confusing while everything makes perfect sense in Ubuntu. Could just be me (I have about exactly zero short term memory - I have been known to put my coffee down and lose it with out ever leaving my desk).

Get Ubuntu - I think you will find things easier.

Or, just figure out the requirements for the FC9 packaged version...

Changing to debian (which in the long run *will* pay off, but hey, I'm biased
;-) from something he has "sort of figured out" to someone who's already not
very comfortable with unix environment isn't a simple task, as much as ubuntu
claims "it just works"...

The only thing ubuntu (well, more spcifically, Debian and it's derivatives)
have going for you in this case is that theres two people *here* familiar with
it, and it's HylaFAX packaging, one of them intimately...

There's *got* to be other users on this list using recent FC/RHEL/CentOS who
know what is going on with HylaFAX packaging on those systems...

a.

Thanks for your input. I'm glad that David came to the rescue. His system is running on FC9. The whole thing was that faxgetty was not running. Once that was determined
and started the system was up and running. Being a NooB, is hard to figure things out. For instance I tried many time to start faxgetty as root from the command line but
after typing the command it did not returned back to this: [root@Hermes /]# It appeared that the system was hung, just a blinking cursor so I just close the terminal and it was never started. Another thing I was doing a ps -ef and I would never see faxgetty. Now I know that ps axl |grep faxgetty will return status of the daemon. It has been a true learning experience which I don't mind albeit frustrating.

I'm going to build an Ubuntu box in the near future, I think it will be a great learning experience. Again I would like to thank all for your help and wish you Happy Thanksgivings

Kind Regards,

Ramon