Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX not receiving faxes.

Ramon F. McDougall wrote:
Dennis M. Linton wrote:
Ramon F. McDougall wrote:
Good Mornig to All,

I need your expert advise in figuring out why I am not receiving any faxes. The system appears to be ready
but I don't know why it's not working. I have run faxsetup, and faxaddmodem. The system is running FC9 and hylafax-4.4.2-1
Can someone please help me get this thing going? Please see below.

Thanks in Advance,

Ramon

[root@Hermes etc]# faxstat -s
HylaFAX scheduler on Hermes: Running
Modem ttyS1 (3053738108): Running and idle

[root@Hermes ~]# cu -l ttyS1
Connected.

Welcome to minicom 2.3

Compiled on Mar 13 2008, 00:58:14.
Port /dev/ttyS1

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0 OK atdt3053588864 (dialed but receiving fax did not answer HyalFAX albeit is a functional fax.) NO CARRIER

RING (Dialed into from working fax machine and HylaFAX but it did not answer)

RING

Ramon;

You were concerned about faxgetty not appearing to run. I am wondering if that might be a clue. I did some tweaking today and my system became unusable - with hundreds, maybe thousands, of instances of faxgetty running and nothing working. As mentioned previously, I have nothing in my /etc/inittab (like S0:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0).

On reviewing http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Binary_Package_Install, I noted that it prescribed a /etc/event.d/ttyS0 file for my system (Ubuntu 8.04). So, I added it and presto, problems. Deleted the file, restarted everything and operations returned to normal.

With the event.d file in place, HylaFAX could not even find the port never mind the modem. Incoming on my fax number went unanswered. Outgoing failed, of course, but did not trigger an e-mail to me.

minicom indicated my modem was happy throughout.

Regards,
    Dennis

Here I thought Linux was bullet proof. I glad you resolved your issue. So, what kind of magic is in your /etc/event.d/ttyS0?
I will look into my system and see if it exist and it's contents.

Kind Regards,

Ramon

Here is the content of my /etc/event.d/tty1.

[root@Hermes event.d]# cat tty1
# tty1 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty1 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc2
start on stopped rc3
start on stopped rc4
start on started prefdm

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /sbin/mingetty tty1

Question:

Is there a faxgetty statement in you file?

Thanks,

Ramon