Re: [hylafax-users] Modems Getting "lost"

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:31:45 Lee Howard wrote:
> Nigel Allen wrote:
> > We've recently moved a customer off a PC based HylaFAX server to a
> > rack mounted one, only to find that much to our (and their)
> > "amusement" there were no serial ports available.
> >
> > Luckily we discovered that we could use a USB to serial converter and
> > the modems appeared to work perfectly.
> >
> > Only snag is that after a day or two (sometimes longer), they just
> > stop answering.
> >
> > Restarting HylaFAX makes no difference. Only after we physically
> > switch them off and on again to we get them to answer.
> >
> > Any ideas where to start please?
>
> A multiport internal modem, maybe?
>
> You're not the first user to have trouble with USB-to-serial converters
> like this.  I'm going to guess that the problem (and potential solution)
> is going to be dependent upon the hardware in question and quite likely
> the Linux kernel revision.  (In other words, it will be a rather
> difficult thing to troubleshoot.)

I just want to 2nd what Lee is saying here. Though Lee is far more
knowledgebale then myself on fax and USB issues, I am only buying traditional
serial port modems for my setup... and a serial controller for when I retire
the current fax server in a couple of weeks for one that has no onboard COM.