Re: [hylafax-users] Modems Getting "lost"

Michael Hallager wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:31:45 Lee Howard wrote:

Nigel Allen wrote:

We've recently moved a customer off a PC based HylaFAX server to a
rack mounted one, only to find that much to our (and their)
"amusement" there were no serial ports available.

Luckily we discovered that we could use a USB to serial converter and
the modems appeared to work perfectly.

Only snag is that after a day or two (sometimes longer), they just
stop answering.

Restarting HylaFAX makes no difference. Only after we physically
switch them off and on again to we get them to answer.

Any ideas where to start please?

A multiport internal modem, maybe?

You're not the first user to have trouble with USB-to-serial converters
like this.  I'm going to guess that the problem (and potential solution)
is going to be dependent upon the hardware in question and quite likely
the Linux kernel revision.  (In other words, it will be a rather
difficult thing to troubleshoot.)

I just want to 2nd what Lee is saying here. Though Lee is far more
knowledgebale then myself on fax and USB issues, I am only buying traditional
serial port modems for my setup... and a serial controller for when I retire
the current fax server in a couple of weeks for one that has no onboard COM.

Hi Guys

Thanks muchly for the advice - it confirmed (unfortunately) what I already suspected.

What about using USB modems instead (as they will be cheaper than the a multiport internal). Any comments?

TIA

Nigel.

believed to be clean.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions