Re: [hylafax-users] Linux and RTOS

Michael Hallager wrote:
2. All this stuff about fancy serial controller cards... When I am using the built in COM1 and COM2 (ttyS0 and ttyS1 in Linux speak) ports, I never have a problem and I can guarantee the Motherboard manufacturers built them to a price... suddenly because I want to run more then 2 ports, I'm being told I need a gold plated, wizz bang, flash controller card with the kitchen sink!

The average computer for the job was a 386 or 486. Certainly, there wasn't a perceived need for all this power and features, so what the hell has changed/

Are you having a problem for which you believe that you need a "fancy" serial controller?

Truth told there is a lot that has changed. Serial communications were important 10 years ago. External serial modems work better in stress testing on Linux 2.2 than they do in Linux 2.6.

However, the reality is that you're not likely to notice any difference unless you're pushing the envelope.

Thanks,