Re: [hylafax-users] FaxMail + PDF Attachments + Email Header

* Dayton Turner <dayton@xxxxxxxxx> [080117 20:15]:
> OK... Update #2.. or 3... wherever we're at.. :)
>
> I have upgraded to 4.4.4 - Everything seems to work as advertised! -N
> omits headers, -T omits the body if its blank, and i have no blank
> page.  Also, the fact that all the text templates have moved out of
> dictionary and faxrcvd -- awesome. So much easier to update. I did
> that all by hand in the scripts last time!

Yes, templating took a bit of work, but I definately like the
possibilities they provide!  Have you seen the "html" sample templates
to show just how much they can do?

> So a couple things now.. It may just be my imagination, but it seems
> that fax transmits are faster (no complaint!) however the text in the
> received PDF (i am actually doing email-> fax, the fax number is a
> fax->email on the same hylafax box) seems to be of lesser quality.
> In my previous fax receipts, Quality said "Normal" and now it says
> "98" - not sure whats up there.

HylaFAX jobs can be submitted with what quality is desired.  If you
enable hfaxd logging, you can easily see what all the details of the job
faxmail submits to HylaFAX.  From that you coud see if faxmail is asking
for a FINE (196 DPI) or NORMAL (98 DPI) resolution.  I beleive you can
set what  resolution you want faxmail to request by any of:
	$LIBDIR/hyla.conf
	$LIBDIR/faxmail.conf
	$LIBDIR/sendfax.conf
	$HOME/.hylarc
	X-FAX-<option> headers in the mail message itself.
See the faxmail/sendfax man pages for the options and how they control
job parameters.

> And lastly, I have added a mime script in /var/spool/hylafax/mimetype/
> text called 'html' (so, the script is actually /var/spool/hylafax/
> mimetype/text/html) it just calls "html2ps $1" which seems correct -
> but this script doesnt get called. Ive put some code in that script
> to touch a file in /tmp, which does not happen. I still get an
> attached plaintext page with raw html in it.

faxmail in HylaFAX 4.4 uses typerules to hand the different "file types"
instead of mimeconverters.  This means that your "html" rules need to go
in typerules.  That also means that faxmail is using the same mechanism
as sendfax, so you if you can test your handling of HTML, etc with
sendfax too.

> When this does work, seeing as how most mailers send a text/plain, as
> well as a text/html attachment, will people actually get a single
> plaintext page, and then an html optimized page? Or is it smart
> enough that when the only parts are text/plain, and text/html, that
> it will only display the HTML formatted page?

Unfortunately, you *will* get both documents attached.. With current
CVS, we're aiming to allow a mechanism to "pick" which of the available
multipart/alternative parts to use, but that's not in a released version
yet.

Back in the days when faxmail was originally written, multipart
alternative with the bloated HTML marked up MIMEs wasn't common
practice...

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103