Re: [hylafax-users] 'No response to PPS repeated 3 times' error

Steve wrote:
>...I think it's a digital line though.  I have to use some kind of dongle
between the modem and the phone jack to convert it....

Obviously the line type is important to know.  If this is a POTS line with
ADSL 'on top' then the 'dongle' is probably a microfilter (often called a
splitter).  The quality of these filters varies enormously and we have heard
of examples that have degraded over time... so, because they are cheap I'd
begin by replacing it.  At the same time it's worth asking the telco to test
the line....  it's not unusual for rain to get into equipment or for a bird
to take up residence at the top of a pole...

If the problem is not fixed by a new filter and the line tests out OK then
you are looking for something else that has changed.  Are you sure that no
software or hardware has been updated ?  What about the phone line, has
anyone put another device on this line (fax or phone maybe) ?  Could the
receivers have changed fax machine make/model without your knowledge ?

Obviously, if this is not a POTS line with ADSL then the 'dongle' is
something else entirely and a whole bunch of new questions will need to be
asked....

One final thought.... How do you know this was working in the past ?

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com