Re: [hylafax-users] List of compatible modems

George H wrote:
> Right now I am running my modems as Class1. Is there something about using
rockwell chipsets as class2 that makes it better? or will any modem
(specifically my multitech 5600ZDX) will do just as well in class1.

Class 2 moves most of the protocol work into the modem, simplifying the fax
server software.  Historically, most (all ?) modem Class 2 implementations
have been broken and the advice has been to use Class 1 because it allows
the fax server to do the protocol work and overcome the limitations in the
modems firmware.

Mainpine's IQ Express boards have a robust Class 2.1 interface (they also
support Class 1.0 and 2.0).  However, we recommend that HylaFAX users
continue to use Class 1 because that's where most of the HylaFAX development
work is focused.... in the future, this advice might change if we implement
some of our more advanced features in HylaFAX (on-chip JBIG for instance).

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com