Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax+ With E1 card possible ?

Hi Steve,

No, not T.38 but the FXS interface on the VGA2100.... so it should just
'work'.

One of the problems is the number of variables with these deployments.... at
one location we discovered that the E1 within the building was being
supplied over a microwave link which would occasionally introduce horrendous
audio delay... all the sales people at the Telco could tell us was that the
building had E1... it took detailed analysis of their network and extensive
discussion with their engineers before we eventually discovered that a
'temporary' microwave link had been installed 18 months ago.... how on earth
is an end user supposed to resolve these issues ?

A number of our partners are also major players in the T.38 fax server
space... they report similar issues.... something that works today can stop
working tomorrow when the 'latest' firmware is downloaded (often without the
users knowledge).  I think we just have to realise that fax is really of
little interest to the gateway manufacturers.  My guess is that they will
never resolve the issues and document delivery will eventually move to some
other IP based mechanism..... in the meantime many people will have a lot of
pain with IP based systems and many smart people will deploy a Mainpine
board on POTS :-)

I wish you luck with your interop testing.... we tried many different
techniques to automate this process but in the end we just purchased every
fax machine that we could find and filled a couple of rooms with them....
sure does make a lot of noise when you undertake a broadcast !  We have also
found the only way to fix some issues is to get an example of the problem
fax machine so that you can really tear apart the audio.  Maybe one day we
can donate all of these machine to a museum... hope so, otherwise we will
have a big problem with WEEE.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com