Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax+ With E1 card possible ?

Hi Steve,

Most of the chipsets used within the V.29/V.17 fax machines are no longer
available which is why I expect to see an upsurge in new V.34 fax machines,
with more vendors moving to a V.34 only strategy.  I also find it
interesting that the latest Davidson report states that in 2005 83.9% of fax
boards sold were V.34 capable.

I understand from one of the T.38 contributors that a number of people
believed that V.34 was unlikely to work reliably over T.38 which is why they
left V.34 'for further study' in the 2002 specification.  I've also had a
conversation with one of the IP fax server vendors who said that the Cisco
V.34 solution was not 'robust' (although to be fair they also reported
constant change with the Cisco V.17 firmware so maybe it's not V.34
specific).  One final point, V.34 is a very litigious area and this might
discourage T.38 vendors from implementing V.34 in the gateways.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com