Re: [hylafax-users] how is vgetty implemented these days?

Luke McKee wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if IAX modem could RE-INVITE or use NSE to
convert the connection to use T.38 if the remote gateway supported
that protocol?

There is no T.38 support within the short-sighted IAX2 specification. I (or someone) would need to extend the IAX2 spec to do it, and I think that time would be better invested in getting a SIP-using T.38 softmodem instead. IAX has its purposes, but it has many limitations, as well. It was easy to develop with, but in the end the protocol is really not being further-developed by anyone.

I read your comments on the FAQ about T.38. Now that spandsp is
supporting T.38 will you add support to IAXmodem too?

I had considered writing a SIP-using T.38 softmodem or a HylaFAX-specific SIP/T.38 "ClassT38Modem" driver, but none of my customers are looking for T.38 technology, and so there's very little motivation for me. Furthermore, other people with more experience are getting that very same thing done, and I'm more likely to assist them when I do have a need for it.

As for V.34 support it's best implemented in hardware.

Well, you could do it in software if you really wanted. I'm not sure how much CPU you'd need to allocate to it to make sure it got done timely. The problem for open-source projects and V.34 is patents.

I know capi4hylfax has got references to V.34
in changelog
" * set minimum of 4800 for V.34 primary rate renegotiations (02 Apr 2006)
* improve handling of V.34 control channel retrain (02 Apr 2006)"

So the code is already in the public domain for doing V.34 in a
softdsp.

I don't know much about CAPI4HylaFAX or other things - I would suspect that the V.34 modulate/demodulate routines are in hardware/firmware, but I don't know that for-sure.

It would be nice to get it implemented in spandsp too!
Capi4hylafax pays it's licensing fees because it's intended to works
with Fritz hardware. Would there be patent issues putting it into
spandsp?

Yes, there are patent issues with V.34. Again, I would not suspect that the patented V.34 routines are in CAPI4HylaFAX, but rather in the AVM hardware/firmware itself. But that's purely a guess.