Re: [hylafax-users] help with client software to send

> Perhaps I need to explain more.
>
> I am using a hardware firewall/router (linksys). I also have vsftpd
> running on this server.  I use the same rule to enable ftp in my firewall
> and ftp transfers work fine.  There are no packet filters in the linksys
> router, just simple check boxes to allow TCP/UDP traffic on a given port.
>
> I also no not understand why I would need to use passive mode, passive
> mode does not work with ftp either, so I do not use passive mode there and
> then ftp works fine.  Does this mean that HylaFAX supports _only_ passive
> mode?

HylaFAX supports both active and passive mode.  Many FTP clients
automatically fall back to passive mode if they can't establish active
mode connections; some "hardware" firewalls are intelligent enough to
monitor port 21 and figure out what other ports to open/forward.

Whatever it is, clearly either it or you is doing something different with
port 21 and port 4559 traffic, or the associated data ports.