Re: [hylafax-users] trouble sending fax

Joe wrote:

Hi Lee... Here is the doc1317.pdf;f0 file that is causing the problem.

pdfinfo wouldn't touch it and neither will adobe. The original file is readable
before it goes to hylafax.

The doc1317.pdf;f0 file is not a PDF, it's TIFF. You'd want to use tiffinfo. In any case, here is the result:

[root@gollum log]# tiffinfo /tmp/doc1317.pdf
TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
 Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
 Image Width: 2236 Image Length: 833
 Resolution: 203, 98 pixels/inch
 Bits/Sample: 1
 Compression Scheme: CCITT Group 4
 Photometric Interpretation: min-is-white
 FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
 Date & Time: "2006:12:21 08:42:20"
 Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
 Samples/Pixel: 1
 Rows/Strip: 833
 Planar Configuration: single image plane
 Page Number: 0-0
 Software: AFPL Ghostscript 8.53
 Group 4 Options: (0 = 0x0)
[root@gollum log]#

Notice that "Image Width" is 2236 pixels wide. At typical horizontal resolutions, that should be 1728 pixels. So it tells us that your bin/pdf2fax script is misbehaving.

How are you submitting the fax job? With sendfax? It works fine for me when sending here with sendfax. Observe the attachment (fax000000239.pdf, sent to myself, converted to PDF). Notice that pdf2fax even rotated it to fit on the page. It's probably a ghostscript problem on your system. What version of Ghostscript are you using?

What you need to do is to set ServerTracing to 0xFFF in /var/spool/hylafax/config (the faxq config file), restart faxq, and then resubmit the fax. Then grep for the corresponding pdf2fax call that faxq makes that will be logged in your syslog (/var/log/messages, probably). Change to /var/spool/hylafax and execute the bin/pdf2fax command against your original file exactly as you see faxq doing it. See if there is any abnormal output. See that you do get an erronious TIFF file as I demonstrated.

Show me all of that, including the pdf2fax command being invoked.

Thanks,