Re: [hylafax-users] mis-interpreted senderID?

Mark wrote:

Lee Howard <faxguy <at> howardsilvan.com> writes:

That said, I think that this excersize has exposed a bug in the Class 2 firmware that I think can be avoided by padding the LocalIdentifier with whitespaces. Try modifying LocalIdentifier in the modem config file to this:

LocalIdentifier: "+4618343428 "

That may prevent the bug in the Class 2 firmware from surfacing.

Lee.

Hi Lee, Today I did the padding you requested but no change was detected. The
received fax still shows the same 0q stuff, as the padding after the senderID
was was stripped off. I used FAXNumber: "+4618343428 " on the sending
Intertex modem.

That is, indeed, unfortunate. :-(

If this is not something that can be dealt with within HylaFax, maybe I will
simply use a regexp and strip off "0q\s*" and similar problem strings as I see
them arise from inbound senderIDs a local "fix." What do you think of that?

This is not something that can properly be handled in the HylaFAX Class 1 driver because the sender is, in fact, transmitting the garbage characters. Inevitably if on the receiver we start stripping out "0q..." from every TSI string then we're going to end up regretting it when it backfires on a condition where we may want "0q..." to be there. If, indeed, you're going to strip out "0q..." from TSIs, then I would strongly recommend that you only do so when the +4618343428 matches elsewhere... so that you're not messing with other TSIs.

If this is something only coming from your Intertex modem then my recommendation is to just stop using the Intertex modem in Class 2. If you see this coming from elsewhere then the sender may appreciate the heads-up about what is going on. It is, most certainly, coming from their equipment that way... and you're probably not the only one to see it.

Thanks,