Re: [hylafax-users] General question

Marcin Giedz wrote:

Lee Howard napisał(a):

Sam started HylaFAX (FlexFAX at the time) because, "I saw a fax modem sitting unused in a colleague's office at SGI one day." And it went from there. That modem used the Hayes AT-command set, and so HylaFAX began by supporting that DCE-DTE communication medium "ClassModem". Certainly HylaFAX could have a proposed "CAPIModem" driver built-in directly (none of that c2faxrecv/c2faxsend stuff), but it's not happened yet... that takes some code work.

Can I see it? Is it already available with current Hylafax code?

No, it was a hypothetical scenario. If AVM would allow it, the path to taking CAPI4HylaFAX code and creating a CAPIModem driver built-in to HylaFAX would be fairly straight-forward and probably wouldn't require much technical expertise on anything except for C/C++ skill.

The easiest path to getting it all integrated would be to get AVM to give license to HylaFAX to integrate and incorporate CAPI4HylaFAX code into the HylaFAX codebase. With that it should be a fairly straight-forward process to create the "CAPIModem" driver/interface.

Can be difficult ..... but then again....the more support you have the more cards (AVM) you can sell ;)

Personally, I would have thought that AVM would have wanted CAPI4HylaFAX integrated long, long ago. That way they're not stuck maintaining it and they can promote their product with "better integration" than before.

I wouldn't be opposed to assisting if not simply doing the development work for this *if* AVM gave us the green light *and* I had access to a system with the CAPI hardware and the ISDN line connected.