Re: [hylafax-users] General question

Marcin Giedz wrote:

Till now I've also made some small changes for Hylafax (LDAP authentication + privileges) - rather for internal use but it works.

I think that you sent those patches to the list once. (?) Remind me. Is direct LDAP auth that much better/easier than PAM-LDAP auth?

However in my daily work I have not only Hylafax working - also CapiforHylafax + CapiRCVD. Together they create REALLY powerfull tool. I've almost always been wondering what is the reason to NOT include CAPI into Hylafax?

Firstly, CAPI4HylaFAX is licensed GPL... so it makes it difficult to merge the two. Secondly, to my knowledge none of the CAPI4HylaFAX developers (only AVM employees?) participate in HylaFAX development at all... so that makes it hard to coordinate work (like how CAPI4HylaFAX doesn't support batching).

OK as I mentioned we have Hylafax + CAPIforHylafax but they are rather two separated programs. Is there any obstacle regarding such connection? Hylafax works normal with lots of modems, why shouldn't it work with CAPI/ISDN modems directly?

Sam started HylaFAX (FlexFAX at the time) because, "I saw a fax modem sitting unused in a colleague's office at SGI one day." And it went from there. That modem used the Hayes AT-command set, and so HylaFAX began by supporting that DCE-DTE communication medium "ClassModem". Certainly HylaFAX could have a proposed "CAPIModem" driver built-in directly (none of that c2faxrecv/c2faxsend stuff), but it's not happened yet... that takes some code work.

The easiest path to getting it all integrated would be to get AVM to give license to HylaFAX to integrate and incorporate CAPI4HylaFAX code into the HylaFAX codebase. With that it should be a fairly straight-forward process to create the "CAPIModem" driver/interface.

Otherwise we'd need to have someone with the CAPI spec and some hardware take the time to reconstruct much of what CAPI4HylaFAX has already done. And in my experience that just doesn't happen without the right kind of motivation and the right kind of person/company.