Re: [hylafax-users] OT: RedHat Was: from RPM to CVS

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 13:02, Lee Howard wrote:
[snip]
> So, really, I just don't know enough about how
> Fedora will work to want to spend the time to try out the "hobbyist"
> version when it would be just as easy for me to migrate to something
> like Debian that I already understand well enough to know what to
> expect.
>
> Will Fedora release security updates?  Will up2date work with Fedora?
> Is "Fedora" just a new name for "RawHide"?

As best I know: Yes, Not Sure, and No.  Fedora has some good info (still
evolving) on their site, and I guess they already have an RC1 release.
There's some link to the rawhide stuff, but fedora is supposed to be a
"real" distro (not a hobby thing).

It already supports yum and apt (on top of rpm), but I'm not sure about
the up2date thing.  For commercial use, migrating to RHEL is probably
viable, but not for me personally.  I've been updating my redhat 9 boxes
against the fedora repositories (using apt) for a while now, and I even
submitted a fedora rpm to their QA package queue (gotta fix that up a
little).  The QA process itself looks nice.

> I just have too many questions about Fedora to opt that way over say,
> Debian.
>
> Lee.

I have one debian install, but not much chance to play with it.  I've
used redhat since 2.0.1 so I have some time/skills invested in it.
Fedora looks like a logical path to me (but I'll still try and learn
debian in my copious free time...)  You might want to look a little more
closely at fedora; in some ways I think it could be even better than
RedHat.

Just my $.02 worth.

Steve