Re: [hylafax-users] (no subject)

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:30:42AM -0400, Nick Torenvliet wrote:
> I just installed hylafax yesterday and have a working outgoing fax
> service today.

Welcome aboard.  :-)

> First I have a distinctive ring feature for my incoming faxes, how easy
> is it to set that up on hylagfax.

It depends on how new your modem is.

Older modems dir DR (once you enabled reporting) by saying "RING 1" or
"RING 2" or something akin to that... and if you have such a modem, you
can just change RingFax (in your modem config.devid file) to whatever
text is appropriate.

Newer modems appear to have some fancy new reporting scheme (according
to traffic I've seen here; haven't worked with such myself) that lets
the app know exactly what the ring pattern looks like... at the expense
of compatibility -- I gather the new ones *don't* do the old style
reporting.

I don't recall for certain whether faxgetty understands the new stuff
yet; ISTR it doesn't; check the mailing list archive for "Distinctive
ring" for more.

> Second, I just so happen to have had mgetty+sendfax installed on the
> system I installed hylafax on.  I noticed some messages in faxsetup that
> required links to the agetty,vgetty  binaries in /bin/ which I actually
> had in sbin.  My question is if I didn't have mgetty+sendfax installed
> already would I have had to install the v/a/getty binaries myself or do
> they come with hylafax?

You should not; they do not.  mgetty+sendfax, as I recall, conflicts
with HylaFAX.  The other ones don't, but as setup says (never clearly
enough, apparently, even though it's clear to *us* :-), you don't
*need* those; it's merely pointing out that you don't have them, in
case you plan to use them.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c