Re: [hylafax-users] V.34-fax

On 2002.08.06 09:01 Marcus Franke wrote:
> I read in the Changelog about those nice
> high-performance V.34-fax thing.
>
> But how common are those machines already?

Quite common, actually.  Most new, upper-end machines sold for the last
year or so have supported V.34-fax (Super G3).  The number of these that
you hit depend on the type of places to which you fax.  In my experience
(mostly faxing to real estate and financial services companies) you see
about 15% of the destinations supporting some level of V.34-fax.  Very
rarely do I ever get 33,600 Kbps connections, though.  (It usually
negotiates slower than that - I'm guessing due to line noise.)

As for modems... that's another matter.  As far as I'm aware, analog and
digital modems have only supported V.34-fax since later last year (2001).
So, with regards to software supporting V.34-fax, I think that HylaFAX is
likely the first facsimile software to support V.34-fax with these
modems.  That's in large part thanks to the effort and contribution of a
Connexant employee.

There are only a limited number of modems that do support V.34-fax.
MultiTech, Eicon, Digi, and Equinox (but Equinox's doesn't support
V.34-fax in Linux, yet) all make Super G3-capable modems (digital or
analog).  Most others don't, as I've seen.